10 Wardrobe Essentials + 10 outfits for Every Closet
Welcome to week 2 of the style refresh -- if you missed last weeks post on cleaning out your closet, you can find it here.
This week, we are discussing the ten wardrobe essentials that every woman needs in her closet. The ten things that will complete your wardrobe & make getting dressed every day easier.
If you own all of these ten pieces, you will have the ability to make over 20 outfits! Think of it like cooking - when you go grocery shopping, you probably do not buy every ingredient to 7 different recipes. You buy the minimum ingredients necessary to make meals for 7 days. Save money, stay simple + invest in essential pieces that you will always need.
MAJOR stylist tip - find a tailor that is affordable near you. Clothing lines have fit models, which is a model that is their perfect demographic that they design the fit of their clothes for. Reality is, we are all not the same size as that fit model. So clothes won't fit right. When you absolutely love a piece but do not love the fit, take it to a tailor. For maybe $10-$20 more, you might have a DREAM piece that you would have otherwise missed out on. Do not let fit keep you from buying something special. My friend bought a jumpsuit on ASOS that was $20, spent $20 tailoring it (once it arrived it fit HORRIBLY), and now she has a cute jumpsuit that she will wear for years. Make your pieces your own. It isn't as expensive as you may think.
TEN ITEMS YOU BETTER HAVE IN YOUR CLOSET - AND IF YOU DON'T, PUT THEM ON YOUR SHOPPING LIST.
1. A simple white or/and black tee - it has constantly amazed me how often clients do not have a simple white t-shirt in their closet. My friend Catherine at The Life Styled did just a great post on finding the perfect tee - find it here.
2. Jeans - Finding the right pair of jeans is tough. To find a pair that fits you perfectly, washes + wears well AND is in your budget is an extreme task. Do not hesitate to have jeans tailored. I recommend 1Denim, a line that I am actually an ambassador for! They create all their denim in Los Angeles with their customer in mind. There is a 'Jocelyn jean' that I designed that is incredibly comfortable and flattering for a curvy girl. Check them out here!
3. The right jacket - The right jacket can complete any outfit - it is a definite wardrobe essential. Depending on your style, your essential jacket may change. I recommend having a denim jacket, a blazer & a leather jacket that fit your look. Jackets are my personal favorite because a regular tee + jeans + white sneakers + a really dope, unique jacket = a super cool outfit. I have tons of simple black tees + jeans, and invest in dope jackets that are the show stopper of my outfit.
4. A go to heel - GO TO is the key word for this piece. You do not want heels that you hate wearing. The reality is, red bottom Louboutin's are the most UNCOMFORTABLE shoe you will put on. I have a pair, and I prefer my Zara booties any day. Your heels have to be comfortable AND cute. Unless you are like my mom and believe that beauty comes before pleasure. MORE POWER TO YOU.
5. The perfect hat - Hats are great for so many reasons. The most obvious being that they cover a bad hair day. Baseball caps, fedoras, beanies, newsboys caps - pick your favorite. The great thing about hats is that they complete any outfit. Even something as simple as jeans and a t-shirt becomes more stylish when you add a hat.
6. LBD - This goes without saying - every woman needs a Little Black Dress. The dress that compliments your every curve, that you LOVE putting on because you are reminded how gorgeous you are.
7. Sneakers - Reality is, most women do not enjoy heels. We live in a time where wearing sneakers is stylish - what a time to be alive! I recommend everyone have a pair of all white sneakers in their closet - they add a crisp & fresh touch. I love wearing all black with pure & clean white kicks. There are SO many fun sneakers out there though, grow your own collection that represents who you are. And if your style is simple, filled with solid colors - find sneakers that accentuate and add style to an otherwise understated look. That will help make your outfit your OWN.
8. Everyday accessories - These vary person to person! I have 2 pairs of earrings, 2 rings, and 3 chokers that I switch everyday. And probably 10 pairs of sunglasses :) I let my outfit do the talking. Some people have their accessories be the standout piece in their look, and they have 30 necklaces to chose from every morning. Like the right hat, accessories help complete a look.
9. The piece that means business - I am a freelance stylist, so I rarely need a professional look. But at some point every year I do need to step my game up. You need to be prepared for those moments. As long as you have one piece, you can build around it with your everyday clothes. A white button up, black trousers + a good blazer are really important to have handy. You never know where your boss might take you tomorrow. Be prepared! Don't EVER be underdressed. Never be afraid of being overdressed/the best dressed person in a room.
10. Day dress - We all need one perfectly flattering, go-to summer dress. FRIENDS I got my favorite summer dress at Target. It was $20 and it is black and hides my shape, which I love because on days where I am not feeling very sexy, I still feel cute in it.